Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: MiniDisk to computer?

  1. #1
    MadFor3D
    Guest MadFor3D's Avatar

    Post

    I've read that a lot of people record they're sound on MiniDisk's. Is there a way to get a cloned digital copy of the sound files from MiniDisk to a computer?

    I have a small Sony MiniDisk recorder, but it only has optical in. I don't like the idea of re-recording the tracks to computer.

    Are there MiniDisk recorders that can do this? How do some of you do it?

    Thanks,

    -M

    ------------------

  2. #2
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    You will need a MD with optical out (they tend to be the higher end models for the portables or most regular home deck version).

    Plus - you will need a audio card with optical input - most pro audio cards have this option either as standard or as an additional daughter card.

    Dont be fooled with Sony's USB adaptor for their consumer MDs. It is an analogue system and not digital.



    ------------------

  3. #3
    MadFor3D
    Guest MadFor3D's Avatar

    Post

    Oh no, more $ to spend! he he he

    Thanks crimsonson. Yeah, my sound card has the optical input. Whew at least I don't have to buy another one of those.

    -M

    ------------------

  4. #4
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Can either of you tell me if any minidisc recorder has a remote start and stop like cassette recorders have? I am working on a design for some synch sound applications and was wondering if any minidisc recorders could be put in the record mode and then started and stopped with a miniplug socket switch. I don't mean a "remote control" like some video cameras and vcrs have. I just mean a pair of wires that, when connected, will start the unit recording and when disconnected will stop the unit, still in the record mode.

    Thanks!

    Roger

  5. #5
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    Hi Roger:

    I am unsure that any MD player/recorder have the exact same feature you are talking about! However, some manufacturers (Sony, Sharp, etc) do have a feature called Synchro Record. Once a sound is heard it automatically begins recording. Hope this helps.

    ------------------

  6. #6
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    How long does it continue recording if the sound stops? Or do you have to stop it manually when in the "synchro" mode?

    Roger

  7. #7
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Roger, I just got a minidisk recorder recently, and the "synchro record" function, shuts off after 3 seconds of silence.

    Also, the tethered remote for it, has little buttons for the functions.
    It can be put in record mode, which is actually a record-standby, then you hit the pause button to start and stop recording.
    I imagine that the buttons in the little remote, are probably contact switches of some kind, but this sounds like probably what you're wanting:
    in that, it is in record-standby, and you can start & stop record over and over hitting the puase switch on the remote.
    You could probably open the remote, and wire an external switch to it, but hey, what do I know?

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  8. #8
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    MiniDisc is a good option for low budget but like you are seeing there are problems when you try to resolve it. I shoot with MiniDisc when I am not doing sync sound otherwise the best bet is Nagra or DAT. You can try using an analog input card and capture you sound off of MiniDisc and call it good. You will still run into your 2/3 pull-down issues no matter what format you record on. Good Luck

    ------------------

  9. #9
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    resolving mini disk and DAT is the same. you need to understand your non-drop frame/drop frame concepts. go to the film groups web page: members.aol.com/fmgp

    ------------------

  10. #10
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    > resolving mini disk and DAT is the same.

    except many dat players can play back and record at a sample rate of your coice, which very few (if any) md's can.

    /matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •